The Battle is Real

This weekend, I saw God in a way that I never have before.

I believe in spiritual warfare, but over the last few days, I experienced it on a whole new level. I feel so passionate about writing this blog post, but very uncertain of what to share and how to share it. As my toddler son says, "I don't have words." So this may come haltingly, but by his grace alone, I am going to write.

This year, the word of the year that I think God gave me is the word "seek". Since the beginning of the year, he seems to have been calling me to seek not just the amazing gifts he has given me because of Jesus's life, death, and resurrection, but to look closer than that. He has been drawing me to seek his face.

"My heart says of you, 'Seek his face!' Your face, Lord, I will seek."
-Psalm 27:8

I can feel my need for this on a gut level. I can't wait to look him in the eyes someday.

Over the last few days, a battle has been raging for my heart that I don't really know how to explain. I have seen God work more through me in the hearts of others than I have possibly ever seen before in such a concentrated time, and I have also wept in the arms of a friend to the point of shaking--twice.

I have driven down the road singing along to songs that spoke a secret language from the Lord straight to my soul, and I have driven down the road yelling at Satan to take his claws off of my friends.

I know this all sounds very vague and mysterious. Please bear with me: I am trying to clearly communicate things that are hard to put into earthly words, and in this weird, semi-confessional blogosphere space.

What I want to say is that there is a battle raging, a very real one, between very real opponents. There is a real hero, a God who considers you so valuable that he let his only child be crucified for you. And there is a real enemy, one who hates you and wants in every way to take your life.

At some points in the last few days, it was as though I could feel that enemy fighting for control of my mind. He sets traps. He "masquerades as an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14). He makes you think good is bad and bad is good. He plays strategically and without rules.

"I [Jesus] am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief [Satan] comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."
-John 10:9-11

We often think that we are at war with people, but I am challenging you right now to look past the surface and see that there is much more going on, usually invisible but always real.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
-Ephesians 6:12



You have a longing you can't explain, dear reader, but it never really goes away, does it? You think you can find its fulfillment in pretty things or in words from people or in the approval of an audience, but I need you to know that--PLEASE listen to me, because I want to protect you--that deepest longing of your heart is for the God of the Bible.

"The Lord will write in the register of the peoples:
    'This one was born in Zion.'
    As they make music they will sing,
    'All my fountains are in you.'"
    -Psalm 87:6-7
 
I want to share a little bit of my journal from the last few days, in hopes that its words reach their intended audience. Because, as Jesus told his disciples as he sent them out to drive out impure spirits and heal people,

"What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs".
-Matthew 10:27


I have my journal sitting out on the table in front of me. Here is some of what I wrote in the last few days:

"...this has been a night of spiritual battle where God has shown a new side of his personality (ahh...):

the defender of the weak
the--no MY--knight in shining armor who will ride on his white steed on the last day
the God who 'trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.'

He not only rescues his princess from the tower where she is held captive; he makes her his fellow warrior!!! Like my heart-longing to be the creature on Avatar, or Katniss on The Hunger Games. He is making me the WARRIOR PRINCESS I have longed and needed to be. Like Aowen [in The Lord of the Rings trilogy]: 'I am no man!' and then she cuts off the enemy's head. 'ROAR!' I say now, with my prince-husband and great king at the head of the charge.

'I looked and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.'
-Revelation 6:2

'I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With JUSTICE he judges and wages war.'
-Revelation 19:11 (all caps mine)

...

My food is to do the will of him who sent me.
(See John 4:34.)

I seek your face.

And tonight, you have shown yourself to ME as

EL SHADDAI
Almighty God*
'He who destroys, overpowers'
Sufficient One
God of the Mountain

YAHWEH-SABAOTH
'The Lord of hosts [armies]'
'a mighty war commander, able to bring to bear innumerable hosts or armies wherever and whenever he desires'"


This weekend, God rescued me from some very real spiritual attack and now I am on my horse, riding to you like Paul Revere, shouting, "The enemy is coming! The enemy is coming! Trust God! Fight in the strength he gives you!"

If you are reading this, please know that the battle is raging. For some reason, God has given me eyes to see some of it lately, and I want you to know how dearly loved and valuable and precious you are to the King. He is fighting for you.

Wake up. Stand up. Put on the full armor of God (see Ephesians 6:10-20), because it is needed--every day.


"Be sober [well-balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour."
-1 Peter 5:8, Amplified Bible



He loves you. Stand up. Resist the enemy. Follow the King.







*Translations taken from jesuswalk.com.




Comments

Popular Posts