My Top 3 Thrift Stores

I like cheap fashion.

I don't usually write about this sort of topic, but I am a thrift store junkie, and the time has come for you to know it.  I never understood it when magazine front cover blurbs would advertise "Outfits Under $100!"  What is so great about that?  I try to pay around $5-10 for any one item of clothing, and it makes for an artistic and unique approach to my daily wardrobe.  I feel like an artist as I choose my outfit, and I love how much money stays in my wallet when I shop.

And, in typical fashion, I'd like to share the deeper lessons I've learned from hard-core thrifting.  I get my thrifty ways from my mother, who would take us to second-hand stores when we were teenagers.  As a teenager, you're mostly just thinking, "Why aren't we at the mall?  This store is not as pretty as, say, Abercrombie, and the lighting in the dressing rooms is not so flattering to my already shaky self-image."

But then came the time when I had to pay with my own money.

And then things changed.  I saw that my mom had been on to something the whole time.  And I learned a lesson about the link between money and priorities.  I found that when I spent a smaller amount of money on my clothes, then my heart seemed less materialistic.  I was not as worried about getting things rumpled or dirty, and I felt more like I owned my clothes, rather than the other way around.  (I stole that idea of your possessions possessing you from Henry Thoreau's Walden, by the way.)

I was more free to be myself in my day-to-day-living and to care more about relationships than my material goods.  Plus, it's nice to have more cash to spend elsewhere.

If you, too, want to try your hand at the world of thrifting, here's a mini list to get you started, showcasing my favorite thrift store in three of the cities I've called home:


Elizabeth's Top 3 Thrift Stores

#3: Favorite Tulsa Thrift Store

Why it's Great: The clothes here don't seem as pre-sorted (read: by color) as at some other stores, and so you are able to find more buried treasures.  Go in with an artistic eye, ready to find something unique.

Favorite Finds: This flowery shirt--I feel so special and pretty in it.


These sweet hipster/1800's-style boots that I used for part of my costume in my last show (Oliver!).  And I definitely like wearing them offstage, too.




#2: Favorite Austin Thrift Store

What it's Great: My mom gets the credit for my first introduction to this one.  Her philosophy was that the store's in a nice part of town, so it should have some good finds.  And it does!  This store takes the cake for me in my hometown because, while I LOVE The Buffalo Exchange in downtown Austin, this Goodwill has even more of those "steal" prices.  Also, I am assuming that you've already heard about The Buffalo Exchange--it looked like college student central when I went in, and I like that this Goodwill is a bit more off-the-beaten-path and undiscovered.

Favorite Finds: These Ugg men's slippers, which I have proudly worn out of the house, thank you very much!



This great J. Crew (Mom was right about the good finds) flowerdy yellow sweater, which I wore recently for some auditions, and also for Easter.  I feel happy and confident in it.  
Shown here over a yellow tank top.




#3: Favorite NYC Thrift Store

Why it's Great: If you spend more than two days around me, you will most likely hear this place mentioned in conversation at least once.  This is an outlet of a thrift store chain, if that gives you any idea of the prices and atmosphere.  The link above I thought was appropriate because the comments and photos tell you a lot.  This place is not for thrift-sissies!  No dressing rooms, and as little pre-sorting as possible.  You are literally digging through piles of clothes for well-buried treasures.  But I have seen fashion industry types in here, and the staff even makes everyone stand behind a line when a new bin is brought out.  (I know because my friend and I--who were ignorant of the new rules and regulation--got called out for not standing far enough behind the line.)  I've seen so much wide-eyed wonder at the feeding frenzy that ensues over a fresh batch of clothes, that video cameras started coming out to document the action!  

But $1.69 a POUND for clothes?  This girl is in heaven (and ready for a sit-down and coffee afterwards).  I've walked out with a bulging plastic bag of new clothes for about $8.  Plus, you can find some pretty sweet name brands if you look hard enough.

Favorite Finds: These red Pumas.  I like dressing in neutral colors and then throwing in a splash of color (often red).  These babies are great for that purpose.



This Oscar de la Renta skirt.  It's most recent appearance was this last weekend, at Easter service.  Its stage debut was during Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, when I played a 1950's British woman named Mollie Ralston.



This kelly green H&M high-neck jacket.  It scores points for color, comfort, and cuteness, which is why I pretty much lived in it for awhile.




Comments

  1. I love this post. Never been to Value Thrift Store, but I'm a thrift abd consignment shopper too. It's so fun to go huntin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping sisters! Yeah, it's pretty great: I feel like I am making a big purchase if I pay over $5 for any one item.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts