Blind Woman Walking

a poem I wrote April 14, 2008, while living in central China



Look to the sky
Sometimes I wish I
Could fly on your wings
outta here.

Your love is so rich
But now from this ditch
It's hard 'cause my vision's
not clear.

A daughter so weak--
Sometimes my eyes leak
From doubt or frustration
or blindness.

But you lead me on,
Though faint is my song,
And faint are your footsteps
of kindness.


Your word is my lamp,
But life seems so damp
That this candle just stutters
and starts.

And faith can seem far
As some far morning star
And my path comes to me
in small parts.

Oh, give me a vision
That's better than sight
And a hope to define
all my steps.

Because weak is my heart
And from you it departs,
And then burdensome baggage
it schleps.

But you say to trust
And that trust is a must
On this glorious pathway
to you;

You say weakness is better
Than strength in this weather,
Where clouds bring a rain
that makes new.

So now I'll close my eyes
And wear this disguise,
This white robe that you've
given to me;

I'll take you at your word
'Cause from you, I have heard
That in trusting, I finally
am free.

So, Lord, here's my hand;
I know your path's grand,
And your love for me far
grander still.

And we'll walk on firm ways--
You're the Ancient of Days--
And my soul finds its rest
in your will.

-E

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
-Hebrews 11:1, the Bible



Quick note: In stanza 11, looking back, I think I'd now change the part about the white robe being a disguise (although it does make for a good rhyme!). God gives us something much better than a disguise to hide who we really are; He actually changes us into something new!

Comments

Popular Posts