First Child No Longer

Have you seen those "I am Second" videos?  I like them.  Stories are so powerful, and these are good stories well told (a phrase I am borrowing from story guru Robert McKee).

If you haven't seen one, check them out:
www.iamsecond.com/

The other day, I was watching one--I think it was the one with the guy who was in the Pentagon on 9/11. I happened to glance down at the logo on the bottom righthand side of the screen.

"I am second," it said.

I have a tendency to think a lot about myself.  There, I admitted it!  I can get pretty introspective and try to make myself better.  I'm learning this isn't really the way to do life, but more on that some other time.

Anyway, in all my introspection, I've thought a lot about the effects of being a first child.  Someone asked me once where I fit into my family's birth order, I told them I was a first child, and they said something about me wanting to take care of everyone.

A fish doesn't know it's in water, and I hadn't realized this about myself, but her offhand comment got me thinking.  I really have spent so much emotional energy feeling like I am supposed to make everyone happy, like I am responsible for their happiness. And it can get exhausting.

So, I am watching this I am Second video, and there at the bottom righthand side of the screen is the logo, "I AM SECOND", and it was like Jesus came up and wrapped his arms around me from behind, let me lean back into his weight, and told me:

"Elizabeth, you get to be second.  You don't have to be the first child anymore."

And I have felt more peaceful since then.


"For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."  
-Romans 8:29, The Bible


Thank you, Jesus, for being the first kid, taking responsibility for everyone.  I like not having to be first!




My name is Elizabeth, and I am second.

Comments

Popular Posts