Resources for Jesus-Loving Artistic Types

As a girl who aims to be both a fully committed artist and a fully committed Christian, I have spent a lot of time feeling pretty adrift. I have felt like some sort of pioneer, which is exciting, but also makes you hungry for a guide to walk ahead of you.

Over time, God's been showing me that He's called a flock of other people to walk a similar path, that he seems to be creating a community of Christian artists.  And lately, He's been flooding my life with the kind of resources I've been craving for so long.

Now I want to share what I've been given. I dedicate the following list to my brothers and sisters out there who need as much help as I do to walk the Christian/artist tight rope. The list below is by no means exhaustive. I tried to only share resources that aim to be true to the teachings of the Bible and to real life as we experience it. If I have made any errors, I humbly apologize and say that if anything below causes you to stumble, then go back to the first two items on the list. They won't lead you astray!

Hopefully these links will lead you to others and you, too, will start to feel the ground rumbling beneath you and your eyes widening as you wonder, "What could He be doing?"

Homework: I would love to hear from you. If you have a great resource to share, please leave a comment and tell the rest of us about it! Share this list. Let's feed each other.

So, without further ado . . .



A Non-Exhaustive Starting Point List of Resources for Christian Artists

The Most Important Resources of All
THE BIBLE
PRAYER

I'm not kidding. Those could be the only two items on the list and you'd be okay. The older I get and the more I grow as an artist and a Christ-follower, the more I know that I don't know, and the more I understand my weakness. I need His Word. I am dependent upon prayer like it's my prosthetic legs. These two ingredients alone are transforming my relationships, giving me unseen power, and making me fall in love with my Creator more and more and more.

Okay, now that the foundations are laid, here's some other stuff I've found lying along the trail.

Books
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: How I Learned to Live a Better Story by Don Miller
I am a big fan of Don Miller's books. This is the story of the process of making a movie (see "Blue Like Jazz" under "Films") of his memoir. As he edited the story of his own life to make the character Don's life more interesting for film audiences, he started thinking about he could live a better story in real life. As an actor/director/writer/photographer/whatever else artist, it was cool for me to learn more about the power of story.

The Creative Call by Janice Elsheimer
A workbook that acts as a journey of simultaneous artistic discovery and relationship-with-God building. Written as a grateful Christian response to Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way.

Culture Making by Andy Crouch
Christians are often seen boycotting culture, but why not go out and make it instead?

Echoes of Eden by Jerram Barrs
An intelligent, incredibly helpful look at how Christian artists can approach their work. The "echoes of Eden" referred to here are the same concept as addressed in the "Sehnsucht" wikipedia article below. The book includes case studies of the work of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, William Shakespeare, and Jane Austen.

The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness by Tim Keller
A small book that packs a powerful punch. This book will give you fresh insight into your heart and a new ability to find God's freedom from perpetual navel-gazing. It really changed my perspective.

Evangelism for the Rest of Us by Mike Bechtle
Subtitle: "Sharing Christ Within Your Personality Style"
While not specifically for artists, this book spoke to me as a Christian who loves people deeply, and yet has introverted tendencies and sees that many of my artists friends do not want a sales pitch. Bechtle addresses how to use the natural giftings of an introvert to show other people Christ's love.

The Heart of the Artist by Rory Noland
Revolutionary--like open heart surgery for the artist. I read this book quickly, as it was like finding a Field Guide to the Jungle after spending 40 days in the jungle. An honest and encouraging and meaty book about the specific needs, talents, and sins of artists.

The Hollywood Project by Alex Field
A helpful book of case studies about Christians who work in the Hollywood film industry. If you like stories of film projects and want to see some of the ways that God has been working in unexpected, mysterious ways in the movie business, I think you'll like this one.

imagine: a vision for christians in the arts by Steve Turner
A fantastic perspective on the arts from a recording artist and producer who has seen the ins and outs of the music business and studied on Dr. Francis Shaeffer at L'Abri in Switzerland. From the back cover: "Imagine art that is risky, complex, and subtle!" I read this book voraciously.

Roaring Lambs by Bob Briner
A book I read early on in my journey of figuring out if the arts were something I should do as a career choice. Briner was an Emmy award-winning television producer, and this book is his way of telling Christians to jump into the world of the media because they are needed.

"Sehnsucht" Wikipedia article
A Wikipedia article? Really? Yes. Really. As a German minor, I appreciate that this is a German word, but it is also a concept that is gradually laying a foundation for my approach to my work as an artist. Let this article be a launchpad for your imagination . . . and your google searches.

Films
The following is a collection of films that have fed my soul in some way or another and have encouraged me about the work God is doing in the arts. Most, but not all, are intentionally God-centered. 

Note: If watching them with a diverse range of ages, check the MPAA rating, because some I would only recommend to adults. And then there is the Switchfoot documentary, which we loved watching with our infant son.

Blue Like Jazz
A Texas guy who grew up in a conservative Christian home drives to Portland, Oregon and ends up attending one of the country's most liberal universities. Based on the book of the same title by Don Miller (see also "A Million Miles . . ." under "Books").

The Book of Eli
Set on a dystopian Earth, a look at what is truly precious and worth living for.

Grace Unplugged
Naive, unknown girl is discovered for her musical talents and flown out to Hollywood. Will life as a celebrity give her what she's been looking for?

The Lord of the Rings
An epic journey directed epic-ally, acted epic-ally, and really, just all around epic. At its heart is truth.

Lord, Save Us From Your Followers
Great documentary about a guy who goes across the country wearing white body suit covered in religious bumper stickers, conducting on-the-street interviews about how people see Christians. A challenging look at how Jesus's followers can do a better job of talking to the people around them.

Redeeming Love (In Production)
Based on the best-selling novel by Francine Rivers, which I read (and wept over) three times. I am excited that this is being made into a film!

Soul Surfer
Based on the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a young surfer whose faith carried her through the tragedy of losing her arm to a shark attack.

Switchfoot: Fading West
More surfing! A documentary about the band Switchfoot and their 2012 world tour. Described as "part rock documentary, part surf film, and part travelogue."

What If...
A story that examines the impact of the choices we make in our lives and how they shape our direction and who we become.

To Write Love on Her Arms
Associated with the organization of the same name, this movie tells the story that founded the ministry. The film addresses rape, drug use, alcoholism, and cutting, and is an open-hearted look at addiction.

Music
Caedmon's Call
I got hooked on these guys in high school, and their words have been a poetic backdrop to my journeys ever since. Honest lyrics with Texas roots showing in their sound. Check out the "Share the Well" album if you want to hear folk rock meets India, Brazil, and Ecuador.

Enter the Worship Circle
Incredibly great music for times I just need to be reminded of what this is all about, or when I need to worship personally and honestly.

Jon Foreman
Lead singer of Switchfoot. Incredible gift for words and moods. His music gives me tools to express the deepest words of my soul. (Under "Films", see Switchfoot: Fading West.)

Kelley McRae
I met this girl in Brooklyn when she was the roommate of a good friend of mine. I love her sound and her lyrics and these songs get stuck in my head and in my heart.

Kindred: A Collective of Artists and Friends
Includes: Aliza Carter BandLiza AnneCorey KilgannonSam Pinkerton
My husband, my dear friend Molly, and I saw these guys play in a living room concert in Birmingham (see "Inspero" under "Organizations"). It was a beautiful, transcendent evening, and these guys are not only each talented in such specific, cool ways, but they came together to display a beautiful picture of Psalm 133.

Rend Collective
Like a traveling gypsy band of the Christian music world. Yes! A great starter song: "Build Your Kingdom Here".

Plays
Freud's Last Session by Mark St. Germain
What if Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis had met? I saw this play at New World Stages in New York, and found myself so full of heart at the end that I just wandered through the theatre district afterward, hands stuffed in my pockets, crying.

Videos
Barbara Nicolosi: "What is An Artist and How Do We Shepherd These Strange Creatures?"
A revealing probing, revealing, funny, and insightful look at artists from the founder of Act One, Inc. in Los Angeles (see "Organizations").

Magazines
Relevant Magazine
Interviews with bands, actors, people in the public eye, as well as articles and content that is both engaging and challenging. I like how this magazine talks to public cultural figures about faith issues even if they are not "Christian artists". The interviews I've read have been thought-provoking.

Organizations
Act One (Los Angeles, CA)
"Act One, Inc., exists to create a community of Christian professionals for the entertainment industry who are committed to artistry, professionalism, meaning, and prayer, so that through their lives and work they may be witnesses of Christ and the Truth to their fellow artists and to the global culture." (See Act One's founder, Barbara Nicolosi, in the link under "Videos".)

Arts & Entertainment Ministries (Los Angeles, CA)
I have only had a little exposure to this organization, but am very encouraged by what I have seen.

The Center for Faith & Work (Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York, NY)
When I was pursuing acting in New York, I got plugged into this group. At the time they had a once-a-month Actors Group. The structure has changed a bit, but there is still artist-specific programming that seems to address what it means to faithfully live in the tension that is the life of a Christian in the arts.

Hollywood Prayer Network (Los Angeles, CA)
I signed up to be an I to I (Industry to Intercessor) Intercessor several years ago, which means that I am paired up with one person in the industry in Hollywood and am in contact with them and committed to praying for them. This organization has helped shape the way that I see Hollwood actors--not as idols to be judged, but as people to be served.

Inspero (Birmingham, AL)
I have had the privilege to be a part of several of Inspero's events, and there is a such a gentle, beautiful, thoughtful spirit to all of them. It is incredible to see dedicated Jesus-lovers doing professional level work to His glory without hitting anyone over the head with it, but rather extending arms of love to their community.

Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (worldwide, but based in Atlanta, GA)
My husband and I listen to RZIM's apologetics podcasts all the time. I am continually impressed with the way that they jump right into the thick of the hot topics in our culture with intellect, bravery, and deep love for their listeners. As I listen, I keep saying to myself, "How on earth would I answer that question?" They win respect through their approach and their intelligent content.






Comments

Popular Posts