Acting Must Be Worship

"They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen."
-Romans 1:25

"At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, 'Don't do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!"
-Revelation 19:10a



I am learning an important lesson. When I act, it must be worship. But not worship of the experience, worship of the play, worship of the other actors, worship of the emotions, or a desire to be worshipped myself. I must worship God with my acting or it will never be what it was meant to be.

Here is a journal entry I typed out on my phone at Pericles rehearsal last night. I had just acted a death scene, and it was another one of those times when I couldn't seem to contain what had been unleashed inside me:

"I CAN feel all of this because you can contain it. I am safe in your protection and laid in your heart.

I worship you alone. And I NEED to. Otherwise my worship will flow in another direction. For I am a creature designed for worship, we all are. Worship is the only way to handle the eternity that is set in our hearts. It is meant to stream out in a torrent towards you. You only.

The one true lover of my soul. My one true soul mate. I NEED YOU, as a dead woman needs breath or she will never move, she will never stir from her grave.

I am still, I am killed, shot dead by your love. Faint for love, faint of speech.

Come, Lord, come quickly and save me from the temptation to take this worship anywhere else. One true channel to you, dam burst open and lady killed for love of a man."

For love of a king, a "good king" indeed.


The King of Kings.

Comments

Popular Posts