Seeing God in a Total Eclipse of the Sun

TOTALITY: 1:24 in the afternoon on October 21, 2017
"The Earth’s surface provides the best view of solar eclipses in the Solar System. The Earth’s surface is also the most habitable place in the Solar System . . . The conditions that make a planet habitable also make its inhabitants more likely to see solar eclipses."
-privilegedplanet.com

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."
-James 1:17


This last week, our family made the drive from Austin to Kentucky with part of my husband's family to witness the total solar eclipse. My father-in-law is really into astronomy and was the catalyst for this group road trip.

As the event got closer, I started praying that God would reveal himself to me through this rare event.

Quick disclaimer: The following is my best effort at interpreting what God might be showing me. Please test it for yourself against scripture and, if you are a Christian, against the Holy Spirit's leading in your own heart. 

My purpose on this blog is to allow God to draw us all closer to Him through my words. Truth is more important to me than always being right about truth.

The Moon in the Bible

Already in my faith journey, God has used the sun and the moon to speak to me, to reveal himself. He taught me years ago through Psalm 89:37 that the moon is "the faithful witness in the sky". This reminds me of the way that John the Baptist is described in John 1:7-8: 

"He came as a witness to testify concerning that light [Jesus], so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light."

If you think about the moon, it is not able to produce any light on its own, although it appears to glow. It glows because its dead, rocky surface can "witness" and reflect the light of a star. I love how the Bible describes the moon as the faithful witness. Calling the moon faithful didn't make sense to me at first, because I thought about how the moon is not always even visible. It regularly wanes and even disappears completely, in much the same way as our faithfulness in following Jesus wanes and goes incognito at times.

But, somehow, our gracious daddy God sees this cycle of darkening and lightening as faithfulness.

The Sun in the Bible

In contrast to the moon, the Bible seems to compare the sun to Jesus himself:

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield . . . "
-Psalm 84:11

In John's vision of Christ in Revelation 1:16, he saw that Jesus's face "was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

In Revelation 22, the concluding chapter of the Bible, verse 16 reads, “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”


Psalm 89:35-36 says,

"Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness—
    and I will not lie to David— 
that his line will continue forever
    and his throne endure before me like the sun . . . "

So, here, the throne of David is compared to the sun. I believe this passage points to Jesus because he is the heir to David's throne, and it is because of him that David's line continues forever. As we saw, Jesus himself, in Revelation 22, said that he was the "Root and the Offspring of David".

"He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David . . . "
-Luke 1:32

The Total Eclipse

So, going into the eclipse trip, I started wondering: Why would God have set up the universe in such a way that the moon, which represents merely a witness to Jesus, at certain times blocks out the sun, which represents Jesus? That seemed to me counterintuitive to God's purposes, how he is always looking to show us more of Jesus and his supremacy.

I was talking to a friend today about our trip to see the total eclipse in Kentucky. She told me about an important conversation she'd had with a friend during the partial eclipse in Austin. In that conversation, she'd suddenly faced her past in a new way. She said that she thought God might be bringing new levels of healing to her heart.

As I was listening to her story, I kept thinking about the lyrics to one of the few songs I've ever heard that contains the word "eclipse". It is a song originally written by John Mark McMillan called "How He Loves". These are the lyrics that were swimming through my head during my friend's story:

"When all of a sudden
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory.
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me."*

I started sharing these lyrics with my friend, and as I talked with her, I realized that God seemed to be answering my prayer for more understanding of what he wanted to show me through the eclipse. 

First off, during the eclipse, when the moon completely covered the sun (totality), we were able to take off our solar glasses and look directly at the sun with our naked eyes. This makes me think of 2 Peter 1:16:

"For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty." (emphasis mine)

I also noticed that, although the moon was blocking the sun, the glory of the sun was not hindered at all. On the contrary, I was able to see aspects of the sun that I had never before seen in my life. The sun's rays were shooting out like huge white flames of fire to the right and the left of the black circle of the moon. 

It hit me as I was talking to my friend that those rays around the sun are called the "corona". And then I suddenly remembered that "corona" is translated "crown"! I was getting really excited now.

When searching for the word "crown" in the Bible, I came upon a list of verses, which included the following that talk about Jesus:

"'Here [in Zion] I will make a horn [kingly symbol] grow for David
   and set up a lamp for my anointed one.
I will clothe his enemies with shame,
   but his head will be adorned with a radiant crown.'"
-Psalm 132:17-18 (emphasis mine)

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. "
Revelation 19:11-13 (emphasis mine)

Jesus is the rightful king. 

Not only is Jesus the king, but he is also the bridegroom in the wedding that concludes the epic story of the Bible. The sun, like Jesus, is referred to as a bridegroom in Psalm 19:4b-5:

"In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
     It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
 like a champion rejoicing to run his course."

When I searched for the word "crown" in the Bible, I was surprised to find that it not only talks about Jesus wearing a crown, but his people as well. He crowns us.


"Praise the Lord, my soul,
   and forget not all his benefits . . .
who redeems your life from the pit
   and crowns you with love and compassion . . . "
-Psalm 103: 2, 4 (emphasis mine)


Like "a bridegroom", God crowns us with love and compassion. And, as the "champion rejoicing to run his course", he also crowns us with glory, honor, and victory:


"When I consider your heavens,
   the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
   which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
   human beings that you care for them?

You have made them a little lower than the angels
   and crowned them with glory and honor."
-Psalm 8:3-5 (emphasis mine)


"Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;
    let the people of Zion be glad in their King . . .
For the Lord takes delight in his people;
    he crowns the humble with victory."
-Psalm 149:2,4 (emphasis mine)


The Great American Eclipse of 2017

Let me take you to the events of the beginning of this week.

The day before the eclipse, a group of us went to see an "Eclipse 101" talk given by Philip Groce, president of Helping Planetariums Succeed, Inc. Among many other interesting points he made, he said that eventually, humans will not be able to see total solar eclipses the way we can today. The reason is that the moon is gradually moving farther and farther away from the earth, making it appear smaller in the sky. This means that, from the vantage point of Earth, the moon will at some point no longer appear to completely cover the sun.

This brought to mind John 3:29, where John the Baptist says about Jesus,

"The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less."

Monday mid-day, we stood on a hilltop by the beach at Lake Barkley State Resort Park. As the eclipse got closer, the environment around me started to fade and get dimmer. It was easier to look around without squinting. Everything looked slightly gold-tinted and washed-out, like I was looking at a 1970s photograph.

My husband had downloaded an eclipse timer app to his iPhone. A few minutes before totality, the voice on his app announced that we might now be able to see shadow bands. From watching this video ahead of time, we had learned that shadow bands are a visual effect that look like snakes moving on the ground, so much so that children have apparently tried to reach out and grab them. 

My brother-in-law had put a white sheet on the ground. Sure enough, as we looked at the white sheet, we started to see what looked like wavy lines undulating on its surface. 

Thinking about how shadow bands have been described as snakes, and looking at the eclipse in terms of the Biblical narrative, I can't help but think of the way that Satan came in the form of a snake back in the Garden of Eden. I don't know how far that analogy can be carried, but it is interesting to mention.

As the moon steadily made its way closer and closer to the far edge of the sun, and the crescent sun became a smaller and smaller sliver of light, suddenly, totality happened. For the first time in my life, I could take off my sunglasses--in this case, solar glasses--and look directly at the sun in the sky. 

I didn't expect the total eclipse to look so much like a computer-generated image: a seemingly perfect black circle ringed by bursting white flames of light. It was hard to believe that what I was looking at was real.

I scanned the horizon and saw that there appeared to be a 360-degree sunset. My brain wasn't sure what to make of the scene. I was on the verge of tears. Elation: I think that's what I was feeling.

At the end of totality was the brilliant, bright flash of light that occurs as the sun starts to reappear. They call it the diamond ring effect, and what I could see of it was gorgeous. I was worried that I would be blinded by its brilliance, and hurried to get solar glasses back on my face and my son's face.

The presenter the day before had said that he has seen people weep during total solar eclipses. His reaction to his first one was to suddenly realize just how out of control he is in life. He stood there in awe, knowing that there was nothing he could do to stop the events that were in motion.

On Monday, we shared our suspense and then sheer awe with the hundreds of people around us by the lake. This event was different from almost any large group public event I have been to, because we had all come to witness something that was both inevitable and beyond human capacity. I didn't see one jaded person in the group, one person who seemed to be thinking, "Oh, been there, done that."

From the group of super-excited and vocal Puerto Rican science students who had flown to the States with their teacher, to the theatre people who I had joined earlier for some sidewalk yoga and snacks, to the guy who captured a photo of a couple kissing during the eclipse, this event seemed to be significant for everyone there. Together, as a group of fellow humans, we gazed up into the heavens and cheered from the ground.

And I can see the champion and bridegroom Jesus, lit up from the inside, rising up in the morning, barely able to contain himself for what he knows is about to happen, running his course to the middle of the sky, waiting in expectation for his "faithful" dirt-made witness of a church to stand before him and be crowned with the radiant light of his fiery love. And then, at the apex of this crowning ceremony, he gives his bride a diamond wedding ring.


"The heavens declare the glory of God;
   the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
   night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
   no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
   their words to the ends of the world."
-Psalm 19:1-4











*source: www.azlyrics.com

Comments

Popular Posts