Don't Use Your Points

Today I have a challenge for you: Don't use your points.

What do I mean by that? You know it--that moment in a conversation when you know the exact zinger or gossipy tidbit of information that you could use that would get you "in" with whomever you are talking to.

You have two choices:

1. Use your conversational points, like golden coins, cashing in on the chance at looking good.
2. Sacrifice your advantage and choose to love the someone who is not there, whose name and reputation you could have used to your advantage.

1 Thessalonians 4:10-12, The Bible:

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

I am learning the value of minding my own business, ignoring that urge to deposit golden coins of gossip into the vending machine of human approval. Will you join me in learning this lesson? I am finding that when I get through the pain of not satisfying that urge, I am rewarded with the deep, quiet, REAL satisfaction of God approving my choice.

Like they said in World War II, "Loose Lips Sink Ships".



How much love might you and I spread by minding our own business?

Comments

Popular Posts