poem, written 6.28.08

Let down all your defenses
and come to me in the trenches,
the trenches of your soul's desire
to breathe of air that's clean.

Give ear and come to me and find
a rest beyond your weary mind,
where great a comforter you'll find
with life for weary souls.

For in the trenches of your mind
are joys there waiting for you to find--
the hidden diamonds amidst the rubble
of toil and pain and earthly trouble.

A verdant, down-soft bed I've made
with me as your sun and me as your shade
where pure, clean water wipes you free
and your heart is drawn alone to me.

My love, my child, my heart's delight,
I love your lashes of deepest night
that hide two eyes so smitten and free
that gaze on beauty when gazing at me.

I love you, Lord, my soul's delight,
a pure, straight arrow in the darkest night--
for here, lesser lights compete for your glow
and confuse my eyes and the way to go.

But I'm always here in the brightest haze
and my star is bright enough to guide your way,
so wrap your arms around my chest
and lay your head in my heart's warm nest.

Because here a great comfort is waiting for you
and I died to give you my song so new.
Please sing it through valleys and oceans and rivers:
a song for the needy to know the great Giver.

So cross the Jordan with your brothers and sisters;
the way seems blocked and the water makes you shiver,
but my ways are higher than you yet know;
on my paths I provide a way to go.

I know all the voices so loud in your ears,
and I know all the demons that drive you to tears,
but you'll be surprised how my voice becomes clear
when I whisper sweet promises into your ear.

My way is a ribbon that weaves through this world,
bright, shiny, and beautiful, and quite absurd
to all those who know not my plans or my heart,
because knowing me is where true vision starts.

So hold fast to me, never let go, my dear child,
as we cross through great wilderness barren and wild,
and remember your lover's as wild as they come
and his path brings you homeward while sin is undone.

-eb

Comments

  1. *sigh* thats what my heart just did. What a gift you have thank you for sharing it. Love & blessings K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Elizabeth. I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts